An Act of Grattan’s Parliament (1786) established the Corporation for Preserving and Improving the Port of Dublin for lighthouses in the immediate area. Our constitution is essentially the same today.
In 1810 the Lighthouses (Ireland) Act extended the powers of The Corporation for Preserving and Improving the Port of Dublin (often called the Ballast Board) to cover all powers, duties and functions relating to lighthouses around the coast of Ireland.
In 1811 the UK Parliament passed an Act obliging Ships to pay a duty for every lighthouse or floating light they passed off the coast of Ireland on any voyage.
The Dublin Port Act (1867) vested responsibility for lighthouses, lightships, buoys and beacons around the coast of Ireland in the Commissioners of Irish Lights.
The Merchant Shipping Act 1894 consolidated the statutory powers of the Commissioners of Irish Lights as one of the three general Lighthouse Authorities in Ireland and Great Britain.
Following Irish Independence the Service continued to function as it had prior to the establishment of the Irish Free State.